How to Sign Up (if you are new to the program)
May 1, 2019— forms must be postmarked May 1.
1. Check Your Eligibility
Before applying, make sure you are eligible for the program.
2. Calculate Your Percentage Share for Each Title
For each title you plan to register, calculate the percentage share of your contribution.
3. Collect Your ISBNs
Make sure you know the ISBN for each title/edition/format. Need help finding your ISBN?
Please note: The PLR Program requires a valid ISBN in order to search for an audiobook in a public library collection. Audiobooks created for Amazon’s proprietary Audible system and e-books that have an ASIN in place of an ISBN are not eligible for registration. These titles are not currently available through Canadian public libraries.
4. Make Photocopies
For each print and e-book, provide a photocopy of the following pages:
- Title Page (on which your name and the title of the book appear)
- Copyright page
- Table of Contents (if available)
For each audiobook, provide a photocopy of the following:
- the audiobook box cover or bibliographic record (on which you are credited) and that shows the ISBN and year of publication.
5. Download & Fill Out the Form
If the form won’t open
If the form won’t open, download Adobe Acrobat Reader
6. Double-check everything
Have you correctly completed the form?
- Contact information is complete
- Citizenship Status
- Social Insurance Number
- Information for each title
- Publication Year
- Category type
- Contribution type
- Percentage Share
- Number of pages (print and e-books only)
- Table of Contents (Y/N) (print and e-books only)
Do you have all your supporting documents? (for EACH print and e-book title submitted)
- Photocopy of Title page (on which your name and the title of the book appear)
- Photocopy of Copyright page
- Photocopy of Table of Contents (if available)
Do you have all your supporting documents? (for EACH audiobook title submitted)
- Photocopy of the audiobook box cover or bibliographic record (on which you are credited) and that shows the ISBN and year of publication.
7. Mail the Form & Support Material
150 Elgin St, PO Box 1047
Ottawa, ON K1P 5V8
What Happens After You Sign Up?
You will be notified of your eligibility and, if applicable, receive any payments in February 2020
Why does it take so long?
The program has a staff of 4. Every year they:
- Review the applications of 750+ new creators
- Survey public library systems across Canada
- Enter 4000+ new titles into the database
- Calculate payments for 85,000+ titles
- Process payments for 17,000+ creators