How to Sign Up (if you are new to the program)
Registration notice: We only accept registrations during the regular registration period closing May 1, 2023 at midnight. Registrations received with a postmark date outside of the registration period will be returned to you.
May 1, 2023 — forms must be mailed by 1 May at the latest, postmarked as proof.
1. Check Your Eligibility
Before applying, make sure you are eligible for the program.
2. Calculate Your Percentage Share for Each Title
For each title you plan to register, calculate the percentage share of your contribution.
3. Collect Your ISBNs
Make sure you know the ISBN for each title/edition/format. Need help finding your ISBN?
Please note: The PLR Program requires a valid ISBN in order to search for an audiobook in a public library collection. Audiobooks created for Amazon’s proprietary Audible system and e-books that have an ASIN in place of an ISBN are not eligible for registration. These titles are not currently available through Canadian public libraries.
4. Make Photocopies
For each print and e-book, provide a photocopy of the following pages:
- Title Page (on which your name and the title of the book appear)
- Copyright page
- Table of Contents (if available)
For each audiobook, provide a photocopy of the following:
- the audiobook box cover or bibliographic record (on which you are credited) and that shows the ISBN and year of publication.
5. Download & Fill Out the Form
Please print and complete the form by hand.
If the form won’t open
To view the form, you will need the free version of Adobe Acrobat Reader. Download Adobe Acrobat Reader
Make sure the PDF is opening in Adobe Reader and not in a browser: right‑click the document in your downloads folder and select Open with Adobe Acrobat Reader.
6. Double-check everything
Have you correctly completed the form?
- Contact information is complete
- Citizenship Status
- Social Insurance Number
- Information for each title
- Publication Year
- Category type
- Contribution type
- Percentage Share
- Number of pages (print and e-books only)
- Table of Contents (Y/N) (print and e-books only)
Do you have all your supporting documents? (for EACH print and e-book title submitted)
- Photocopy of Title page (on which your name and the title of the book appear)
- Photocopy of Copyright page
- Photocopy of Table of Contents (if available)
Do you have all your supporting documents? (for EACH audiobook title submitted)
- Photocopy of the audiobook box cover or bibliographic record (on which you are credited) and that shows the ISBN and year of publication.
7. Mail the Form & Support Material
150 Elgin St, PO Box 1047
Ottawa, ON K1P 5V8
What Happens After You Sign Up?
You will be notified of your eligibility and, if applicable, receive any payments in February.
Why does it take so long?
The program has a staff of 4. Every year they:
- Review the applications of over 800 new creators
- Enter and assess the eligibility of over 6,000 new titles
- Survey 40 public library systems across Canada
- Calculate payments for nearly 83,000 titles
- Process payments for over 18,000 creators
EligibilityCheck your Eligibility
Register a New TitleAdd a New Title/Edition
How Payments WorkLearn about Payments